Liberian Awards Inc., a non-profit organization, addresses the void of awareness and mentorship through its annual awards ceremony, mentorship & scholarship program. Founded by Liberian-born immigrant, Samantha Divine Jallah, the organization was created to promote education and excellence in youths. The organization recognizes Liberian professionals who have excelled in the Diaspora and has hosted an annual awards ceremony since 2010; promising youth are paired with high-achieving Liberians who serve as mentors.
The organization supports the academic and professional development of college students in the Diaspora through its scholarship program which is open to first and second generation immigrants attending U.S. colleges. The program has made a positive difference in the lives of many young people as documented in a recent video:
REQUIREMENTS FOR SCHOLARSHIP APPLICANTS:
- A person who was not a U.S. Citizen at birth, excluding foreign students on F-1 or M-1 visas; A child with at least one parent who was not born in the U.S; A member of a racial or ethnic minority including African American, American Indian, Asian American, and Hispanic American.
- Attending US College in Fall
- Community Service
- Leadership Traits
- College Acceptance Letter
- Two Recommendation Letters (non relatives)
- Complete Scholarship Form
- Copy of Transcript (Official may be requested for finalists)
- Essay: Where will you be in the next ten years and how will your role impact the world? (Discuss how you intend to achieve your dreams and how past behavior demonstrates your ability to reach your goals)
- High School Seniors: 3.5
- College Students: 3.25
The deadline for all scholarship application materials is May 31, 2016.